so I decided to upgrade my Lync Server 2010 to Lync 2013 that I have now deployed Exchange 2013.
so my lab now have Lync 2010 up and running where the CMS is hosted, and a Lync 2013 also up and running (co-existence), an overview of the steps are
- install Central management store database on the server
- migrate CMS from 2010 to 2013
- remove the old CMS database
Install Central Management Database
using Lync Management Shell on the Lync 2013 server run the following
C:\> Install-CsDatabase -CentralManagementDatabase -SQLServerFQDN “Front End FQDN”
or in case it is hosted on a dedicated SQL Backend (Enterprise Edition Deployment), make sure to put the “SQL backend Server FQDN” and Instance name in case you have multiple instance running on the machine
C:\> Install-CsDatabase -CentralManagementDatabase -SqlServerFqdn “SQL Server” -SqlInstanceName “Instance name you created for Lync”
Move the CS database to the new created one.
- once complete now we need to publish the topology
- Run the following command line
- Now the big Move, Moving the CS database from Lync 2010 FE to Lync 2013 FE, use the following command line
- it will give you a lovely warning “this cmdlet moves Central Management server to the pool that contain this computer”, just select “Yes”.
- Now on Each Frontend 2013 and 2010 server in your Topology run the Installation Wizard
- Start the step “Install or Update Lync Server System”
- run step-2 “Setup or Remove Lync Server Components” on Each server.
- Click on “Setup or Remove Lync Server Components”.
- Once finished click “Finish”.
Remove the old CS database from 2010 FE server
DO NOT CARRY THIS STEP UNLESS YOU MADE SURE REPLICATION IS DONE AND HEALTHY
- Make sure that replication with the new Central Management store is occurring and healthy by using the following cmdlet
Now go to the old Lync Server 2010 Front End Server.
- Start “Lync Server 2010 Deployment Wizard”
- now we do the same as last steps click on “Setup or Remove Lync Server Component”
- Click Next
- Once done click Finish.
- once you are sure that replication is healthy we need to run one more command line on Lync 2010 Front End server to uninstall the CS database.
C:\> Uninstall-CsDatabase -CentralManagementDatabase –SqlServerFqdn “FQDN of old CMS server” -SqlInstanceName RTC
That’s it now you are done. you can run topology builder and download current topology to make sure that CS store is using the new Lync 2013 Front end.